[ale] Hard Drive Size

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Sun Jan 2 01:50:05 EST 2005

my guess: that's your disks formatted and partitioned size. There are 2
issues here:

1. harddrive manufacturers don't count data space the same way everyone
else does. To a harddrive manufacturer, 1 gigabyte is literally 1000
megabytes, not what it should be, 1024 megabytes. So the actual
available space on the disk come out being a little less than what its
advertised as being.

2. There is overhead involved in formatting/partitioning a drive, which
eats a little space. The full explanation for this is somewhat lengthy
and technical, but suffice it to say, in order for you operating system
of choice (by way of the cpu, the ide/scsi/sata controller, etc) to be
able to read and write the disk, some of it has to be reserved for
purposes other than storing data (there is also some redundancy built in
here.

So, for instance, I have a couple of "30 gigabyte" drives in my machine
at home, but after formatting, etc. they have 28G useable (actually,
about 28,800,000 k, give or take, and one is a little different from the
other). In my experience, 76G sounds about right for an "80 gigabyte"
hard drive.

Mike

Brandon Colbert wrote:
> Jerald Sheets wrote:
>
>> That is indeed an oddity.
>>
>> Is it possible the translation your BIOS has used is off a bit?
>>
>> Also, are you using a default partitioning scheme, or are you using
>> custom
>> partitioning via Disk Druid?
>>
>> Jerald M. Sheets jr.
>> Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator