[ale] New Topic

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Sat Jan 1 00:10:30 EST 2005

I second the the nomination for babbling, incoherent, washed up PC
promoter, ( I like using extreme language anyway ;-)

I learned a lot from Dvorak's Hardware Bible back in the eighties and
when I discovered Macs I was disappointed by his attitude toward them.

The new press on Apple is right on.   I have been using a Ti Powerbook,
(1 ghz G4 for non Macophiles) for over a year as my main ride.  I have
seven Linux desktops at home (and no windows) but Apple goes to work
with me.  I really think OSX is the best *nix OS I have ever used.  I
used to use Virtual PC about six years ago to help my old Macs keep up
albeit slowly but I don't need it anymore.

I can truly run any Linux app on my powerbook plus all the Apple stuff.
  I use a python script to run rsync to back up to an external firewire
disk.  I edit photos with the Gimp and edit .docs with Abiword.  When I
need NT authentication for my browser I use Firefox not IE.  I prefer
nmap to the few mac network exploration programs I use Kermit to do
serial communications to oddball hardware I have to fix sometimes.
(through USB!)

People still look at my "obsolete" Powerbook (new model out last year),
and ooh and aah when I take it out.  It is exactly what I wish my Linux
boxes were.

Mark