[ale] Qemu experiences (or.....wow!) - how-to

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Feb 28 08:25:21 EST 2005

Trey Sizemore said:
> I just installed this and want to give it a whirl.  Does it work like
> VMWare in that I can install Win2000 virtually and run from this
> machine?  If so, just a pointer or two on starting this up.

Yes, it does.

Quick how-to:

Create a disk image for qemu to use:

$ qemu-img create MYDISKIMG.img 6G

This creates a 6 gigabyte qemu image.

Next, make sure the accelerator module is loaded:

root# modprobe kqemu

Now, start qemu and point it to the image you created and the cdrom or iso
for the install:

$ qemu -cdrom /path/to/windowsinstall.disk -hda /path/to/MYDISKIMG.img
-boot d

"-boot d" tells qemu to boot from the cd drive.

After this, you should be off and running.  The install will proceed from
there.

Good luck,
John