[ale] SSL-based VPNs (OpenVPN) vs IPSec

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Fri Feb 25 00:06:15 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 22:42 -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> Meet in the middle type negotiated is a problem.  Same reason I can't
> simply use a tun device either.  For double NAT you need a client and
> server model.  That is why I have to use SSL based Vtun

	Apples <=> Oranges...

	You need something on a public IP address.  That's why a Teredo server
must be on a public address.  But, once the negotiation is done, two
clients can communicate with each other behind NATs without involving
the server.

	What you haven't shown me is how you get around not having a server on
a public IP.  If you have a server on a public IP, then IPSec over NAT
(using NAT-T) should work just fine (I do it all the time), even with
two clients behind NATs, but it routes through the server, as would
OpenVPN.  Outside of some of the weird magic Teredo pulls (you really
don't want to go there), almost all the VPNs require a server in the
middle or a static NAT translation in the traffic path.

	I just don't see any advantage to an SSL based VPN over an IPSec VPN
for this purpose.  Can you give me an example (with configs) where you
have an SSL based VPN that works where an IPSec VPN would not?

  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/