[ale] partition does not end on a cylinder boundary huh ?

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Mon Feb 21 23:01:15 EST 2005

You're generous and I thank you... but would like to ask a/some
question(s) before calling so maybe I can provide better
information  :-)

I used FDISK off Tom'sRootBoot floppy which reported the partition not
on a cylinder boundary. The partition reported as not properly bounded
is... an extended partition under [MS] NT4 sp6.

The active [boot] partition is C:\ [FAT16 LBA] and the extended
partition contains D:\,E:\,F:\ [FAT32 LBA]. D,E & F are what I can't
access, I guess because the extended partition is not properly aligned,
though the drive will bootup.

I also used L-Soft's 'Active Data Recovery' program to initially recover
the partitions [which ran under DOS6.2].

To further reveal all I have learned, DOS6.2 FDISK reports the
partitions as 'nondos'.

V-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Linux floppy's fdisk more specifically regarding the misaligned
partition says:

Device
	Start	End	Blocks		Id

/dev/hda2
257
4866
37026360
Extended

"partition 2 does not end on a cylinder boundary"
phys (1023,144,63)	should be	(1023,254,63)

Given all the foregoing, what would you change and to what would you
change it ?

Gratefully,

Courtney

Michael Trausch wrote: