[ale] partition does not end on a cylinder boundary huh ?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 18:28:53 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:10:16 -0500, Courtney Thomas
<ccthomas at joimail.com> wrote:
> I can't access the data on a partition that does not end on a cylinder
> boundary that is described as follows:
>
> Device
>         Starts  Ends    Blocks
> /dev/hda2
> 257
> 4866
> 37026360
>
> with error message:
>         Partition #2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
>
> Cyl Hd Sect... (1023,144,63) should be (1023,254,63)
>
> Can I use Tom's Root Boot floppy to remedy this ?
>
> If yes, HOW ?
>
> If no, then what....
>
> Appreciatively,
>
> Courtney

Is this an old disk?  ie. Old enough it uses CHS addressing?

Anything from this millenium would use LBA addressing, and the CHS
info is basically just dummied up to allow booting IIRC.

If this is a newer disk, it looks to me as if your partition table /
boot sector is corrupt.

If this disk is valuable to you, I would get a backup of the whole
thing before I started trying to fix it.

As to fixing it, I would try booting up partition magic and see if it
can repair the partition table.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer