[ale] A free alternative to VMWare and Win4Lin

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at joimail.com
Mon Feb 21 08:56:37 EST 2005

I know of no reason a Belkin would not be as functionally satisfactory
for a laptop as desktop except it's bulky vis-a-vis the laptop and
requires power.

So, I would guess VMWare or Win4Lin would be more suitable, but I must
say it depends on your objectives and circumstances, about which I know
nothing.

HTH,

Courtney

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Can you use a belkin on a laptop?
>
>   I have a Linux laptop which does most of what I need.  Recent
> changes in my job now require me to use some windows tools but I won't
> give up my Linux laptop.  I put vmware on the laptop (1.4Ghz) and crank
> up VMWare with WinXP on it, do what I need to do then just suspend the
> Windows when not in use.  Fast recovery should I need it in a meeting,
> out of the way when I don't need it and easy recovery should I have to
> install and test some software for some reason.
>
>   In addition I use VMWare to do my school work which works with IE only
> without having to dedicate a machine to windows.
>
> Robert
>

> Thus spake Courtney Thomas (ccthomas at joimail.com):
>

>>I appreciate your reply and understand your motive, but I bought another
>>KVM in a similar situation :-)
>>
>>Belkins are cheap and mine have been running about 5 yrs without any
>>problem.
>>
>>Cordially,
>>
>>Courtney

>>>Well, for instance:
>>>
>>>I'm setting up a test suite at the office.  B/c of the range of folks
>>>visiting our pages (intelligent to idiot), I end up needing:
>>>
>>>Linux, OSX, Windows 2k, Windows XP, Windows 98.
>>>
>>>Oh, but I need htem patched and unpatched.  B/c we have a lot of idiots :o
>>>
>>>I started setting it up, but I ran out of the 6 ports I had available on
>>>the KVM :o  So I'm looking to run virtual setups and stick it all on one
>>>box instead :)
>>>
>>>--attriel
>>>

>>--
>>s/v Mutiny
>>Rhodes Bounty II
>>lying Oriental, NC
>>WDB5619

> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris                     | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
>                                          @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
> DISCLAIMER:
>       These are MY OPINIONS             With Dreams To Be A King,
>        ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
>        no-one else.                       - Manowar

s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619