[ale] [OT] I just bought an iBook, what now

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Thu Feb 17 22:44:59 EST 2005

I use Safari and Mail almost exclusively.  I have Firefox installed so
I can access sites that use Microsoft NT authentication.  I use
Sherlock to find Movies but it has other good uses.  I use Abi word,
Open office for anything that the Mac native Text edit and Preview apps
won't open.

I use Gimp instead of Photoshop even though I have Elements 2.

There is a wonderful app  by a true programming hero called Desktop
Manager. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21594
It gives you virtual desktops.  The was the one thing, even with Expose
that I missed most from my Linux desktop.

I have Zterm installed to make serial connections over USB to old IBM
and STK hardware. ( I know I could use Kermit in a terminal window but
its fiddly)

What I do with it is keep it beside my Linux boxes on my desk.  It is
the only box configured to clear the server after it gets the mail.  It
also is the only box that works with all the printers!  So far it is
the only one I can get to talk to my iPod.

When ever I go out it goes too.  I can use it any where.

I once asked to connect to the network at a large client of mine.  The
tech guys gave me a worried look but ducked the task of saying no by
calling some one in New Jersey who was supposed to preside over
corporate PC rules.  When they got him on the speaker phone and
explained what I wanted he started into disclaimers about needing to
scan my PC and put their approved virus software on it first.  He
started to say that no one there had time to do this for me right now
so I interrupted and told him it was a Mac.  There was a long pause and
he said "Oh, well go ahead then."

Since my Powerbook has a 60 gig drive (not as big as it was two years
ago) I have used it as an FTP server for G4U.  This was great because I
can carry it to a machine that needs to be ghosted.  I rescued some
data for a customer like this once.

Heck if you can't think of anything else to do with it go to apple
website and spend a few hours watching all the movie trailers in
Quicktime.  Oh wait, better if you can't find anything to do with iLife
drop the disks in the mail to me.  Mine didn't come with Garage Band
and I am sure if I had that I would become a Rock Star!

There is one thing I would watch out for.  Don't let you kids near it.
I don't share things as personal as a computer well, especially a
laptop.  My girls would line up to use my laptop if I let them.  I have
already lost my wired phone to them and I draw the line at the Laptop.

;-)  Mark