[ale] Re: speedfactory dsl router setup

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 09:44:51 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:28 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:
> > Isn't SpeedFactory just using <flamebait>BellSouth</flamebait> on the
> > high-speed stuff.  His pppoe client is authenticating with
> > <flamebait>BS</flamebait>  and not SF.  This is my understanding.
>
> No, they connect to a Speedfactory server.  Bellsouth is simply
> providing the physical connection.

Hmmm.  Are you sure?  AFAIK you can not get the same username from SF
that you might presently have with BS.  Secondly, auth would be done at
the DSLAM... which would exist in the BS premises.  While it's possible
that BS would access a SF db for authentication, its more likely that
the SF signup process just provides batch updates back to BS/SBC/etc.

Now, if SF is colo-ing a ton of DSLAMs around the country it is possible
(however unlikely) that all the worlds telcos are trunking large
quantities of copper back to each SF DSLAM.  The problem with this
scenario is that DSL has a distance limit between the customer and the
DSLAM.

-Jim P.