[ale] Ripping to MP3s in KDE

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:29:31 EST 2005

In KDE there is a very cool ioslave "audiocd" that makes ripping a
snap.  Put an audio CD in your drive and then enter "audiocd:/" (no
quotes) in the URL field of Konqueror.  You get a neat view of your
track, and some directories named "FLAC", "Ogg Vorbis", etc.  If you
look in the Ogg Vorbis dir you'll see the tracks apparently already
converted to ogg format.

If you copy these .ogg files into a real folder on your disk, the
audiocd ioslave takes care of ripping the sound from the CD and
converting it to ogg format.

According to the docs, if I have lame installed (and I do) I should
also see an MP3 folder that behaves like the Ogg Vorbis folder (but I
don't).  I should just copy these files to get MP3s of my songs, but
since I don't have the MP3 folder.

I'm using KDE 3.3.1 on Mandrake.  I got lame from Thac's PLF site.

Anyone know how to configure audiocd for MP3s?

Thanks,

Michael