[ale] My iBook

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Fri Feb 11 18:26:10 EST 2005

I have a two year old Ti powerbook that I did not buy the extended
warranty for.  I think that all of them regardless of manufacturer are
too expensive.  I did use apples warranty though.

My display developed a strange distortion about 6 month after purchase.
  I called to complain but the support told me it was software.  It was
very intermittent so I was not bothered.  Well after a while the
problem became more persistent.  Meanwhile one of the hinges to the
screen broke, still within a year of purchase.  I sent it in for
warranty replacement of the hinge and asked them to look at the screen.
  The hinge came back repaired and the screen distortion problem came
back too.  They couldn't handle too problems on one ticket I guess.

Well now the years warranty is over and I am still not sure that the
screen issue is not software.  I can usually fix it with a restart.
All the while trying to draw a conclusion about software installed that
could be causing it.  As the problem grows worse, (more frequent) I am
all but sure it has nothing to do with software and is the video ram.
Finally I got apples video ram diag to fail.  ( had been running it
without error when ever the problem would occur, hence apples belief
that the hardware was fine.) Basically I had to wait for the problem to
grow completely solid (make the PC unusable) to trouble shoot it.  Now
a year and a half later I call to lay out my case for a warranty
service.  All I had to do was tell them that I had reported the problem
within the warranty period and they accepted it as a warranty repair.
(once they looked it up)

So I have had the hinge fixed and the MoBo replaced (that's where the
video ram lives.)  Under warranty.  The Combo drive has been acting up
and I will have to replace it one day on my own dime but for now it is
still burning iso's without complaint.

Oh, and I do love the BSD under OS X's pretty face.  The main apps I
use on this machine are Open Office, Gimp, Mail and Safari.

Mark