[ale] Vonage alternatives...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Feb 11 15:18:55 EST 2005

Nathan J. Underwood wrote:
> I've use the Vonage box both inside and outside of the firewall (I
> surrendured my iptables firewall for a Linksys 802.11g router / wap).
> While it *did work* on the inside, it seems to work better on the
> outside.  When it's inside the firewall, I seem to have a better chance
> of getting echo or just bad line quality.

That's because it can't do it's qos stuff unless it controls all the
throughput.  I guess if you have it directly behind our firewall, then
you should get close to the service you get with it hanging off the
modem.  I just can't see sticking something like that open on a dsl line
without a firewall.

--
Until later, Geoffrey