[ale] Webcrawlers can harvest ALE Archive E-mail Addresses

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Feb 11 07:40:14 EST 2005

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> "Geoffrey" wrote:
>
>>If someone want's to put the code together, I'm sure Chris would
>>consider using it.  But don't waste your time writing code that's
>>going to translate foo at bar.com to foo "at" bar dot com....
>
> Shall we send a memo to the many pieces of software out there that
> already do this?

Feel free to do that if it makes you feel better.

> How about the archive that is linked to from the main
> ale mailing list page? (see the footer of every post). Again, it's a
> matter of low-hanging fruit for the spammers and doing what you can
> as a publisher of other people's email addresses.

Let's get this straight.  Everyone on this list, chose to subscribe.  No
one made you do it, so stating that 'you can as a publisher of other
people's email addresses' is a bit out of line.

> Adding obfuscation
> won't make the spam problem any worse, and has the potential to make
> things much better.

And as I've noted, spammers already process the foo at bar dot com
obfuscation, so why waste someones time?

--
Until later, Geoffrey