[ale] Implementing XML-RPC

Denny Chambers dchambers at bugfixer.net
Thu Feb 10 20:05:43 EST 2005

The client and server both send XML data to each other. The client does
a POST request. The content should be set to "text/xml". But you really
don't need to know all of this info, the XML-RPC takes care of the
transport of information. What you do need is a XML-RPC client that can
handle Cookies, and 401 authenications request. I am not sure what
language you are coding this in, but the XML-RPC java code from jakarta
has a SecureXmlRpcClient that I believe will handle all of your needs.
You can check out http://ws.apache.org/xmlrpc/. Look at the javadocs for
this. I have done a little XML-RPC using the XML-RPC-c
(http://xmlrpc-c.sourceforge.net/), but I am not sure they support
Cookies or authenications. I don't remember seeing any examples of those.

Denny