[ale] Webcrawlers can harvest ALE Archive E-mail Addresses

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Thu Feb 10 13:53:50 EST 2005

On Thursday 10 February 2005 12:43 pm, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>snips
> My understanding is that email addresses are so easy to harvest right
> now, that few harvesters bother trying to unobfuscate the email
> addresses.

They do on usenet! Know this for a fact, as one of my two usenet addresses
is a reverse spam block ("nospam" as a valid part) and it routinely receives
spam CC'd to the de-munged version.

No proof, but have read that spamers pay people to manually de-mung
addresses in high traffic groups.

Currently the most effective way to hide a valid address is in the reply-to
header. (Reply-to is not included in the more common types of overviews, or
"headers" pulled.) Obviously this would be impractical on a mailing list.

Once harvested an address will receive spam forever. However, I have
personally observed both a decline over time to an idle address, and a huge
sudden spike when it starts getting fresh harvest spam.
--
William