[ale] failed ssh login attempts

Sean Johnson esperantisto at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:06:00 EST 2005

Hi all,

Just catching up on this thread... i experienced a lot of these type
of attacks, usually from Asian IPs late at night, so another way i
helped protect my system was by adding 2 cron jobs one that starts the
server at 9AM and shuts it down at 6pm. These are the only times i use
it from work. This is in addition to the following:

1. Disable root login via ssh (as well as all other normal type users
that programs run under)
2. Enable it for only the users that explicity need it. (use bastille to help)
3. Move default port from 22
4. Limiting IP addresses from which you can connect to the server (i.e. work)

Sean Johnson
Libranet now Ubuntu! :)