[ale] database conversion

David Muse david.muse at firstworks.com
Wed Feb 9 15:55:20 EST 2005

Yep, I'm on the list.

SQL Relay doesn't support front end replication (though it is on the
TODO list).  Currently, it can distribute load across a cluster or other
set of replicated databases, but it assumes that they are synchronized
somehow by themselves.

All of the commercial DB's support replication and I believe there are
projects for MySQL, PostgreSQL and Interbase/Firebird to support
replication too, though I'm not sure how mature any of them are.

Most people who require clustering/replication seem to like to set up a
master database with multiple slaves and define 2 instances of SQL
Relay: one that distributes load across the slaves and one that connects
directly to the master.  Then they write their apps to connect to use
slave instance for select-only transactions and the master instance for
transactions with insert/update/delete's in them.  The slaves are kept
synchronized using a variety of methods, depending on what's appropriate
for the app.  I've seen everything from real-time replication to batch
processes that run every night and copy the database files between the
machines.

Dave
david.muse at firstworks.com