[ale] OT: Development practices

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Feb 9 10:31:57 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 11:24, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I run a development shop in Greensboro, NC.  For years before I came, the
> shop was run in a very chaotic way...no policies or
> procedures...just code and fix.
>
> I've been slowly adding processes to the mix and restructuring things, but
> now Sarbanes Oxley compliance is forcing me to pick up speed.

I'm ignorant to this.  How does Sarbanes Oxley impact the development
department of any public company?

> In other words, from soup to nuts, what are the steps that a mature
> project should go through?  What documents should be involved?  What
> sign-offs should be obtained?  What "i"'s should you dot and "t"s should
> you cross?
>
> Any pointers or reference suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

When I was the Product Manager for a public company that had a hardware
and software development system we basically had 2 processes changes,
developments could happen.

1.  SCO, not to be confused with Santa Cruz Operation, Sales Change
    Order

    This was a form an a process that a sales rep had to start in order
    to get a feature put in the development queue.  If they needed a
    feature to close a deal they had to fill out this form.  It would
    outline the feature.  Please a ROI number on the feature and then
    the execs would sign off.

2.  PDR, Product Development Requirements.
    This is really the document that starts a new product of feature.
    This not only outlines the features but the ROI and all the
    marketing data that convinced the execs to build the product.

To start a new project a PDR must first be completed.  After release
then Sales can input their wishes in future versions with the SCO.