[ale] ifup problems, possible IPv6

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Thu Feb 3 18:10:08 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 17:12 -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 13:42 -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > Building
> > a custom kernel on Fedora Core 3 is a royal pain in the fanny, since it
> > no longer has a "sourcecode" rpm and the SRPM has to be used and that
> > can't be installed or updated by yum.  Building a vanilla kernel from a
> > primary kernel.org tarball is even further out there.
>
> Wow, I had no idea.  I'm surprised that a major distribution is like
> that.  In Gentoo-land, kernel compiles are part of the natural order of
> things and you can either bring your kernels (including vanilla ones) in
> through the portage system by simply emerging them or you can drop them
> in /usr/src the old-fashioned way.

	Thing about it is (and, mind you, I'm a driver maintainer in the main-
line kernel sources) is that you really don't need them.  I've got
things I need to recompile each time I upgrade a kernel, right now, like
the ndiswrapper driver, that just compile right in place with absolutely
no need for the entire kernel source.  I was playing with the "wish"
package aka x10dev package and the author of that required you to be
running on a fully compiled 2.6 kernel with the compiled sources and
objects.  Well, that takes several hours, each time you upgrade a
kernel.  So, I took a peek at it.  Seems that all you had to do is drop
a 10 line Makefile in the driver directory of his package and type
"make".  A minute later, out popped a driver .ko file ready to install.
So now, instead of 3 hours to install a third party driver like that, it
only takes 5 minutes.  Without having the kernel sources or anything
in /usr/src/linux*.  He's now implimenting my changes (plus a few bug
fixes from me) into the next iteration of x10dev.  Only time I'm
building an entire kernel package any more is when I'm working on my
drivers in the main sources and preparing patches for submission.

> Jeff

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/