[ale] Re; simple question

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 2 17:32:10 EST 2005

Sean,

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 20:48 -0500, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> I typed udev at the command line and got nada -- not even
> the usual "No such command"
> Tried hotplug and got this:
> Usage: /etc/hotplug.d/default/default.hotplug AgentName [AgentArguments]
> AgentName values on this system:  dasd firmware ieee1394 input net pci scsi
> tape usb
>

> This is even less illuminating than the man page.
> Obviously the solution to this _very_ common problem is still
> non-trivial.

	I just went through much of this with my Lego USB Tower IR transceiver.
The basic idea is: you plug in the drive, and the necessary commands
execute to create a file with a very long name in /sys.  Then, two more
files come into play.  They are /etc/udev/permissions.d/*
and /etc/udev/rules.d/*.  The permissions.d entry (which can live in any
one of several files in that directory) looks like:

sd*:root:disk:0660

the first arg (separated by colons) is a shell-glob that matches the
name of the device.  The next two are the owner user and group, and the
third is the octal permissions (rw-rw---- in this case).

	A simple rules.d entry looks like this:

KERNEL="legousbtower*", NAME="usb/%k"

shamelessly stolen off the 'net.  There are so many variables (the
KERNEL and NAME strings above, for instance) that I can't possibly
include them all in this missive.  At any rate, the rules file should
point you toward finding how to name your backup USB drive to a constant
entry in /dev.

	Hope this helps!

	See http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7316 for a better explanation
than the above.