[ale] SSH and passwords

Yu, Jerry Jerry.Yu at Voicecom.com
Wed Feb 2 08:08:23 EST 2005

what "keys" are you setting up ?

To allow authentication, you can set up public-key authentication with null
passphrase to protect the pairing private key . This way, no password is
needed. Of course, the security of the keys or the whole authentication
scheme relies on permission of .ssh directory and that of key files.

Alternatively, you can use real passphrase. ssh-agent can be used to replay
it for the whole X session.   ssh-askpass will prompt the user for
passphrase and passes it to ssh-agent.

# -----Original Message-----
# From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org]On
# Behalf Of tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
# Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 12:14 AM
# To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
# Subject: Re: [ale] SSH and passwords
#
# I haven't played with it much, but it sounds like expect
# might do what you
# want to do.
#
# On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, David Corbin wrote:
#
# > If I know the proper password for logging in via ssh, is
# there anyway to
# > "programmatically provide" (like from a script) that to the
# ssh client?
# > Please don't lecture me about security and keys.  I
# understand it well
# > enough.
# >
# >  I'm looking at implementing a tool to help set up keys
# between a set of
# > machines with out them having to retype passwords too many
# times, so the
# > passwords would not be stored.  As near as I can tell, it
# takes two "ssh
# > invocations" to provide a key to a remote system, and a
# third to test it.
# > Couple that, with the dozens of systems with the same
# passwords, and it would
# > be quite helpful.
# >
# > Near as I can tell, you can redirect stdin, and I can see
# no way to pass it as
# > an argument or such.
# >
# > Thanks.