[ale] OT: laptop flat conductor

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Feb 1 08:37:11 EST 2005

James P. Kinney III wrote:

> _very_ carefully seperate the leads of each end of the break with a
> razor (bright lights help this and a magnifier). get some 32 guage
> enameled wire, gently sand the ends of both the bare broken and splice
> wire, give a half-twist to the pair at the overlap (not much more than
> 1/8") and solder them. Use a piece of electrical tape across the width
> of the ribbon to seperate the new splices and put the top tape on and
> make sure there is sealed tape between each joint.

That's kinda along the lines I was thinking.  Tedious work that's going
to take a long time because of the size of the effort.  Combine that
with 48 year old eyes. :(

> The big headache with this is stuffing it all back into the laptop. The
> most common place for the ribbon to fail as at the bend.

Fortunately, it does ot bend, it lays pretty much flat.  That being
said, I'm not sure how much clearance there is available for my repair.
   It's hard to determine how flush this thing sits.

The new splices
> will make that bend impossible. It may be needed to cut out a section of
> ribbon to have just the splice wire across the bend.
>
> Method 2. Ebay for a new keyboard :)

I'm currently watching two. :)

Or, an external mouse.

--