[ale] Speedfactory now requires mail contents to be readable

runman runman at speedfactory.net
Wed Dec 28 12:34:50 EST 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
From: Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
To: ale at ale.org
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
Cc: runman at speedfactory.net
Subject: Re: [ale] Speedfactory now requires mail contents
to be readable
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:08:33 -0500

> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 11:06 -0500, Jerald Sheets wrote:
>
> > An aside here:  You have Microsoft and clueless users to
> > thank for   these types of policies.  It is in
> > Speedfactory's best interest to do   this type of
> > automated scanning, so as to escape culpability in the
> spread of viruses and trojans, as well as staying off
> > various   blacklists hither and yon.
> >

> Exactly.  I don't blame them.  IMO if they detect the
> sender of MS origin then they should scan every bit of
> that email.

The topic here is Speedfactory's ineffective anti-virus
program.  If you want to start a MS bashing thread please
have the courtesy of changing the subject.

Using MS does not equal spreading spam/virii just as using
Linux does not equal security.  Also, why should someone use
a particular OS because of OS bigots as yourself who can't
understand the previous sentence ???  Using your logic I
could make the case that anyone who doesn't use OpenBSD (way
more secure than a default install of Linux) should be
denied access to the Internet.  Besides - the topic here is
that an ISP who is following your principles of
"non-security" has in fact done the opposite - I am barred
from using security to protect my email from prying eyes.
Besides IF I HAD USED A NON-MS OS IT STILL WOULD HAVE
FAILED. The OS / mail client is not relevant here. C'mon -
focus people !

Software is neither evil nor good - it's people who
determine that.

I know this is a common trait of ALE - picking one
irrelevant thing in a post and starting a whole new thread /
flame war on that one little thing but it seems to me that
this has driven a lot of people off of this list as well as
diminishing motivation to participate in ALE (or even Open
Source) because of this compulsion many have of "making
mountains out of molehills".

Greg