[ale] Linux 2.4 and usb mice

Tejus Parikh tejus at vijedi.net
Tue Dec 27 15:06:42 EST 2005

This seems like it'd be easy to figure out, but I haven't been able to
make any progress.  I have a MB with a VIA chipset, (C82xxxx shows up
in lspci).  I also have a gyration wireless mouse.  This mouse works
perfectly on my 3 2.6.x machines and on a 2.6 kernel on this box.  It
appears to show up as a standard imps/2 mouse.

However, I can't seem to get it or any other mouse to work on the 2.4
kernel series.  I tried the default kernels from Slackware 10 and 10.2.
  I haven't tried a custom kernel yet.  I have usbcore, usbmouse, and
the two usb hub drivers loaded.

According to /var/log/messages, it appears to detect the new device,
but there's a line like "registering new device to usbkbd" as well as
some lines about a USB Bulk timeout.  I don't have a usb keyboard
attached to this machine.

The "easy" solution would be to switch to 2.6, but via's audio driver
doesn't work on 2.6 and I can't get any sound from the digital output
source under alsa.  Thanks a lot,

Tejus