[ale] OT vhs to dvd

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 26 12:05:48 EST 2005

j.t. holmes wrote:

>First off I dont want to copy any VHS to DVD for profit,
>too much trouble.
>I only want to convert my VHS Movies (not home movies, commercial movies
>which I am allowed to make one copy of according to all the rules I have
>read)
>to DVD movies. I have about 40 such movies that I have not found on DVD and
>I really want the experience of going thru the copy process.
>
>I have scoured the net and have seen  a plethora of products but would
>like someone with
>real life experience to tell me what they have and how it worked.
>
>I have all the CD/DVD burner types (except dual layer) and I have two
>VHS players
>one with Svideo output. I realize SVideo output is only as good as the
>original movie
>quality but it should simplify things.
>
>I would prefer to purchase PC software/hardware rather than a VHS to DVD
>combo dubbing
>device, since after the conversions I would have no use for the VHS side.
>
>I am leaning towards ADS products. The reviews about all products are
>all over the board.
>I would like to get comparable quality on the DVD side. Most of my VHS
>movies are in great
>shape as they have not been played to death.
>
>Perhaps the wave of Copy VHS to DVD has passed and the current Mfgrs are
>concentrating
>on copying DVD to DVD etc.
>
>Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend one of the PVR-X50 from Hauppauge.  They have pretty
good support in Linux.  Some of the included windows software does
exactly what you are planning, just in case you have a windows
partition.  They cost a little more than a standard frame grabber
because it has a hardware based encoder, but the hw encoder produces, in
my opinion a higher quality picture.   I've used a pvr-250 in my mythtv
box for the last three years, I've been quite happy with it.

http://hauppauge.com/pages/prods_pvrs.html
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=hauppauge&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

The 150 will be right up you alley.