[ale] FGrep matches and non matches to two seperate files

Jonathan Chum jchum at aismedia.com
Thu Dec 22 15:29:44 EST 2005

Sorta of, but that would require one additional process to run to invert the
list.

For example, I have 25 MB Postfix log file which I've wrote a script that
extracts the IDs for a specific from <> address, then use fgrep to extract
the logs specific to that domain.

That process takes about 5 minutes to process 17,000 unique IDs.

If I use the -v invert, then it's another 5 minutes to generate a new list.
I figure that if fgrep scans a file line by line for a match, there would be
a way to process those that didn't match into another file to save time from
re-processing the script.

If there's not a utility to do this, I could write the procedure in Perl
that replicated what fgrep does, but I wanted to be sure that there isn't a
utility out there already.

Regards,
Jonathan Chum
Senior Developer

AIS Media, Inc. - "Passion. Innovation. Expertise"
7000 Central Parkway, Suite 1700
Atlanta, GA 30328
Tel: 770.350.7998 / Fax: 770.350.9409
http://www.aismedia.com / jchum at aismedia.com