[ale] OT: question about replacing batteries in a APC UPS

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Thu Dec 22 09:52:49 EST 2005

> 	can U.S. equipment made for 120v be used in Canada, which I understand
> has 220v as standard home installation ?

Lots of computers and devices can use 208 - 240, check the power supply
label for either a claim that it will auto-detect and swap, or a switch
(often a small red indicator)...  Lots of servers in NOC's use 208.
Note: 208/240 is TWO hot lines, not a hot and neutral.
Plugs are different for these voltages as well.
Note that things that use "208" may be different from things that use "240"
as the differences also include what the 'phase' difference of the two hot
lines is.

Most laptop power supplies will autodetect (check the ratings on them first)
and some come with multiple plug/cord sets for travel.

But.. Canada uses the same 110vac at 60hz as we do, same plugs as well.

But when you cross the border, you have to change the Language settings
in your Linux system to French, or at least Canadian English. ;)
(just kidding)