[ale] Bellsouth relationship

fostermail at bellsouth.net fostermail at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 20 23:15:11 EST 2005

I used SuSE 10 isos to advance media-burning capabilities from 9.3, the results which recommend patching instead. Many things broke, and YaST seems dumber, being unable to read existing fstab except when the / line is deleted; not sticking to mount schemes.

I cannot get the dsl modem to like it; I used to just enter its address into the url blank of the browser, and get on.  If this or something similar works, it is only briefly, subsequently slowing down or quitting. This rules out online updating, but most importantly mail, which inability to read via Outlook will constrain me again to manual remote mailer reading.

The card is automatic addr via dhcp, with (non-auto-updated) nameservers as provided by Bellsouth,
with their default gateway, not receiving broadcast (comes under DHCP client options.) When this stuff doesn't work I tell Linux to get it to while booting. Then shut off the firewall, and rcnetwork restart. After I get out of this, I'll probably check if YaST wrote everything correctly to /etc/sysconfig/.. And I have to see if mounting the non-root user home partition again prevents the non-root user from connecting to X. Not knowing this stuff keeps me from determining whether Bellsouth advertising is entirely bogus.

Thanks in Advance, and MC