[ale] .wmv on linux

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Tue Dec 20 09:51:32 EST 2005

You didn't indicate what distro you're using, but SUSE (all revs from at
least 9.0 up, I believe)  uses Kaffeine as a default, and all the codecs
you would need are available as version specific rpm files at
packman.links2linux.org.

-jt

>>> timtw at earthlink.net  >>>
Hi,

Anyone have luck getting .wmv files to play? I'm using Kaffeine and have

followed their FAQ suggestions of getting the latest mplayer codecs for
win32
(dowloaded it from their site) and copy them to either:

/usr/local/lib/[win32|codecs]
/usr/lib/[win32|codecs]

but no luck (I've tried all combinations). I always get the error: "No
plugin
found to handle this resource".

I'm not married to Kaffeine. Anything that can play .wmv's (and
quicktime
would be nice too) will do. (But I don't want to use wine --  too much
overhead).