[ale] OT: question about replacing batteries in a APC UPS

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Dec 20 09:32:40 EST 2005

> Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of tester are you recommending, how
> does it work and what does it test for, please ?

My guess is a 'three light outlet tester'.. and although I'm proud of
my Fluke and Tektronix gear, a $20 generic digital volt meter is often
overkill for the job and much more useful if you take 5 minutes to learn
how to use it. It's also very useful for other things.. fixing Christmas
tree lights.. etc..

And to be on-topic: http://linux-gpib.sourceforge.net/
supports popular GPIB cards (National Instruments is pretty common)
so you can communicate with GPIB (IEEE-488) enabled meters,
oscilliscopes, and other devices (even some camera's!)

Then you plug a IEEE-488 enabled voltmeter/scope to your incoming power,
and you can record voltage fluctuations or other environmental factors.

We used to have a junk system running Linux wired up to monitor and record
incoming AC power and environmentals (temp/humidity). It forced
the local Electric Power Board to replace the transformers feeding our
building, which solved some intermittent power and brownout conditions.

--

btw.. if you don't occaisionally exercise (unplug the UPS
and let it run a while draining down the batteries) your UPS, the