[ale] Linux support for Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Tue Dec 13 15:00:35 EST 2005

Hi,

I've been shopping hardware to upgrade my five-year-old Pentium II-based
homebrew server to something to last me another five years...I'd like to
make this box as buzzword-compliant as reasonable - dual-core cpu, SATA,
RAID, etc. One mobo I'm looking at is the Abit AW8, which supports the
Intel Matrix Storage Manager - a software RAID driver built into the ICH7R
I/O controller.

>From what I can tell, this RAID driver is supported by the libata driver
in 2.6 kernels. I've also been reading up on Linux's native software RAID
features, which some sites strongly suggest using instead of any
controller's "fakeraid" feature.

So, two questions:

1. What's the current status of hardware-enabled "fakeraid"
implementations like Intel's vs. the kernel's software RAID? Which would be
preferred for implementation?

2. Is it common practice to put the root partition on the RAID along with
the other partitions, or to use a regular drive separate from the RAID for
this?

...and going somewhat OT:

3. I've seen SATA drive bracket adapters that will fit three internal
drives into a double-height space (i.e. two 5 1/4 drive bays). Does there
exist a beast that will fit four drives into three bays? And if so, is there
one that supports hot-swap?

4. Are there other motherboards out there that folks would like to
recommend? The must-have features are Pentium D support, four or more SATA
connectors, and Gigabit Ethernet. Nice-to-have features would be an
on-board VGA for in-front-of-the-rack management or serial port for OOB
console (I can buy a cheap video card or a USB serial adapter if
necessary, but I'd rather not).

TIA,

-Chris