[ale] Delivering ALE meetings on "Video"

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Dec 12 07:25:44 EST 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 14:09, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 06:40 +0000, aaron wrote:
> > [snippage]
> > I've been discussing this a bit with Jim Kinney off list and researching
> > the  issue, but I haven't hit on a good solution yet. From my extensive
> > video experience, I know that using video resolution (720x480) framed
> > to include the speaker with the slide projections filling about 70% of the
> > screen area,  DV (25mbps) and well encoded DVD (~10mbps) are just
> > barely up to meeting the quality requirement for readability.  Given that
> > DV is ~13gb/hr and quality DVD is 4.4gb/hr., I'm skeptical that mpeg is
> > going to provide a useful video without  needing at least a gigabyte for
> >  every hour.
>
> Bandwidth issues can easily swamp my upload capabilities (768k). I am
> envisioning only the speaker portion to make the video portion smaller.
> This would be 25-40 minutes (unless it's me giving another 90 minute
> yawner :). So the upload amount drops to ~2Gb or about 40 minutes to
> upload one copy.

Ben was pretty concise with his presentation and came in at 57 min.; maybe 5
minutes of that was the usual slightly OT banter with peanut gallery.  As
it's been my job to keep an eye on the speaker clock for a number of
meetings, I can say 50 to an hour is more the expected norm.

I have no problem posting a 4gig DVD in the wee hours if the interested people
have the patience and you have the bandwidth to do the downloads and burn or
play the file.  The encoding is a no brainer with the bundled iDVD software
on my OSeX box. All this is a little bit time and bandwidth heavy on both the
send and recieve ends, but it could work for now.

I'll be happy to do this with the SCALIX presentation for a trial this week.

> Ugh.
> Maybe BitTorrent...

I don't think Bit Torrent will do much good, since we aren't likely to have
dozens of seeds on line at any given time (unless the Bit Torrent mechanism
is not the pure peer to peer system I think it is).

> > Video format suggestions are welcome, and I can encode on Mac if the Linux
> > side is playback only, but my experience is that most of the stuff that
> > gets  labeled as video on the web isn't. In response to the video
> > problems, I am  also pursuing some alternative delivery approaches for
> > providing useable visual information with much smaller bandwidth
> > requirements, specifically along the lines of delivering the presentations
> > as slides synchronized to an  MP3 narration track of the program.
>
> A most presenters are using some form of presentation tool, a la Open
> Office, this is a very good idea. Sound import as mp3 into a
> presentation and then adjust the slide timing by watching the video is a
> very workable process. If the presentation needs alternate video input
> from a gizmo brought in (I'm thinking about the VOIP presentation
> showing the hardware) then perhaps a low resolution video coupled with a
> hi-res still would suffice.
>
> It can all be "web-a-fied" with the export to Flash capability in OOo.
> Of course those of use who use a dual opteron system for a desktop can't
> view it as Macromedia _still_ has no 64-bit capable Linux binary and the
> 32-bit version crashes on load.

I consulted with Bjorn Roche about this idea yesterday, since his XOwave
program is all about handling audio and media files, and he recently leaped
into programming QuickTime for his commercial OSeX version.  The short of it
is that we think QuckTime would be an fairly easy solution to implement. The
framework already supports markers for visual display references and such.
Direct Linux support _IS_ still an issue, but there are a couple of
OpenQuickTime options that may fill the cross platform requirements.

(We talked about Flash as an option but, as your 64 bit situation shows, Flash
support of Linux is marginal and inconsistent.)

We're in the early stages of investigating the ideas. It may even be that
OO-Impress can already be used (or programmed to) play it's slides
synchronously to an audio track.  It is my understanding that these
presentation packages will already load slides to music or audio tracks, but
only in an evenly timed sequence.

Again, all suggestions welcome.

peace
aaron