[ale] Delivering ALE meetings on "Video" (was ALE CENTRAL for Thurs., 12/8, 7:30pm: SCALIX)

aaron aaron at pd.org
Mon Dec 12 01:40:47 EST 2005

I have the video equipment readily available and, since I'm at most every
meeting filling the moderator role, it is no problem to make a video
recording of  the main presentations. At Jim Kinney's request, and in
response to his offer for hosting an ALE video repository, I recorded this
month's SCALIX presentation. That's the easy part.

The challenge, as well as the more time and resource consuming part of the
process,  is capturing and encoding the 60 or 90 minutes of video in a format
that's appropriate and useful for delivery. Given that this is a Linux group,
I think the encoding format should, at the least, be a cross platform codec
with established, readily available Linux support, even if it is unlikely to
be open source (almost all of the current media CODEC schemes are proprietary
and thus are not  available as default components of free Linux distros).
Functionally, the codec format must also create files small enough to stream
on high-speed or be easily downloaded and yet still deliver a reasonable
quality image with readable slides.

I've been discussing this a bit with Jim Kinney off list and researching the
issue, but I haven't hit on a good solution yet. From my extensive video
experience, I know that using video resolution (720x480) framed to include
the speaker with the slide projections filling about 70% of the screen area,
DV (25mbps) and well encoded DVD (~10mbps) are just barely up to meeting the
quality requirement for readability.  Given that DV is ~13gb/hr and quality
DVD is 4.4gb/hr., I'm skeptical that mpeg is going to provide a useful video
without  needing at least a gigabyte for every hour.

Video format suggestions are welcome, and I can encode on Mac if the Linux
side is playback only, but my experience is that most of the stuff that gets
labeled as video on the web isn't. In response to the video problems, I am
also pursuing some alternative delivery approaches for providing useable
visual information with much smaller bandwidth requirements, specifically
along the lines of delivering the presentations as slides synchronized to an
MP3 narration track of the program.

peace
aaron