[ale] Tarring Root FS

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Fri Dec 9 15:27:00 EST 2005

On Fri December 9 2005 3:12 pm, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I'm trying to make a backup of my hard drive without including the
> directory /mksysb.  Tar keeps pulling files from that directory.

man tar:

 --exclude=FILE
              exclude file FILE

       -X, --exclude-from=FILE
              exclude files listed in FILE

and info tar:

`--exclude=PATTERN'
     When performing operations, `tar' will skip files that match
     PATTERN.

`--exclude-from=FILE'
`-X FILE'
     Similar to `--exclude', except `tar' will use the list of patterns
     in the file FILE.

`--exclude-caches'
     Automatically excludes all directories containing a cache
     directory tag.

another way would be to specify files:
--file=ARCHIVE'
`-f ARCHIVE'
     `tar' will use the file ARCHIVE as the `tar' archive it performs
     operations on, rather than `tar''s compilation dependent default.

`--files-from=FILE'
`-T FILE'
     `tar' will use the contents of FILE as a list of archive members
     or files to operate on, in addition to those specified on the
     command-line.

------
dontcha just HATE man pages???? you really have to know what you want
before you look for it!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800