[ale] sharing a printer

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Thu Dec 8 09:41:26 EST 2005

Situation:
home network; main Linux box; secondary linux box; Mac laptop.

I am trying to share the HP laser printer hooked (parallel) to
the main linux box with the other machines on the LAN. Using
CUPS this "appears" to be easy. I simply set the printer to be
"shared."

The Mac laptop picks it up with no problem and lists it as
a useable printer.

Just one catch. The HP is being advertised as being the
HP at localhost.localdomain. Needless to say, the Mac has absolutely
no idea where such a computer might be. It coughs with the
error message:
  "Unable to lookup host 'localhost.localdomain' - unknown
  host."

There has got to be an easy answer to this -- the address _ought_
to be something like HP at 192.168.1.xxx but I have looked all through
the CUPS configuration files and still have no clue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sean