[ale] Wireless Configuration Suse 10.0 Inspiron 8200

Ritchi Craver rcraver at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 23:16:37 EST 2005

Hello,

I am new to ALE so any guidance on if I should search archives or
something before sending another email please let me know.

Also an upfront warning, I am not the sharpest tool in the linux shed
so please type slowly!

I have a dell Inspiron 8200 with Suse 10.0
My Wireless card is a Linksys Wireless-G WPC54G v.2
I am using the ndiswrapper that came with the Distribution.

I have followed the instructions I believe at:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Suse_Professional_9.2

and also at:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/Installation

basically I get to the part where I run :
rcraver at rcraver:~> ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
lstinds driver present

I see the drivers installed

rcraver:/home/rcraver # modprobe ndiswrapper
rcraver:/home/rcraver # iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

So I am not seeing any lights on the card, I am not seeing wlan0, and
I am not seeing any lights whatsoever on the card.

Am I missing where I need to configure wlan0?

I see in the packages in Yast that I have installed the wirelss tools
but how can I tell if it is installed and not just that the package is
on the machine?

Is it possible I am just not using the correct driver?

I got the driver from:

Card: Linksys #[WPC54G v2], 54Mbps -- [link here|List#WPC54G v2]

    * Chipset: Texas Instruments ACX 111
    * pciid: 104c:9066
    * Driver: Linksys ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/wpc54gv2_driver_utility_
v2.02.zip

-The driver is a .zip and I tried all of the .sys files in the .zip
and only one of them worked, I got an error message with the oters
when I ran the "ndiswrapper -l" command.
-I never did an unzip or anything (is there something I should do with that?

A friend of mine has suggested just going without wireless and just
using the Eth port and a cable, but I want to see this work, thats why
I got linux to begin with :)

Any questions, slight guidance, or just outright "here is how you do
it" is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Ritchi