[ale] Upgraded CUPS, network printers no longer working?

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Dec 1 16:19:59 EST 2005

Hi folks,

A friend of mine has an FC3 box that's serving an
HP G85 printer to a couple of Windows boxes. I upgraded
his CUPS to the latest stable version (1.1.23), and
the Linux box can print fine, but now the Windows
machines cannot connect to the printer -- they
say, "Access denied".

The printer is being shared via Samba, which hasn't
been changed. I also tried connecting via IPP,
with similar results (Windows says, "Cannot connect;
you may not have permission to access this printer,
or the server may have lost its connection to the
printer"). I've added "Allow All" to the CUPS permissions
for the printer in question, which didn't seem to
make any difference (even after restarting cups).

Any ideas, or pointers to relevant docs, would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

-- JK