[ale] Can I tell my Linksys router to always serve the same I P address?

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 24 17:25:18 EDT 2005

I have a BEFVP41 and a non VPN router before.

The DHCP does lack some features that you would get off a *NIX box or
even a windows server.  But we are talking about windows server here.
One of them, is that you will not always get the same LAN IP for a
machine.  On BEFVP41 I have you can set the lease time though and the
number of clients.  Yes, I had this idea that I could just limit the
DHCP range to 3 machines and then that would take care of the problem.
No, that didn't work.   but some weird network problems after about a
week with this setup.   Now, I once read that Windows will assume that
it will get the same IP address when it is rebooting or coming of
standby.  So it makes for some great network issues when someone leaves
for a day and puts their machine in standby.  They come back and you
have a IP conflict.

Back to the BEFVP41.   Great router for lite SOHO work and VPNs.  But
you have to make sure you setup the VPN right the first time. I have had
some problems switching back and forth on the manual and auto IKE settings.