[ale] Ot: Geek Squad

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 20 13:46:27 EDT 2005

Matt,
I had a Daihatsu from 1989-1996.  Drove it 194,000 miles before I sold
it.  It would get 40-50mpg and had 3 cylinders.  5-speed with good
acceleration and I would regularly commute at the usual I-75 and I-85
speeds of 75-90mph.  I never got it over 101mph but it had very little
problem getting there.  I miss that car now with gas prices the way they
are!  The only problem that car had was badly designed front brake
rotors that would warp easily in rainy conditions and I changed the oil
alot since it only took 3 quarts to fill up.

Daihatsu obviously had a good design on it's two door hatchback that I
had.  It was the ceiling on the allowed number of imports at the time
that forced Daihatsu to withdraw from the US.  They hadn't built up
volume yet so the legislation killed their opportunity for growth.  I
think they were out of the US within two year of when I bought the car.
Dow