[ale] Gone OT: Cobb Laptop Deal

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 00:18:24 EDT 2005

Let me put in a plug here for A NEW KIND OF SCIENCE by Stephen Wolfram.
I've only just started to penetrate this weighty tome but the thrust of
what he seems to be trying to say is that simple systems that obey
simple rules can exhibit very high complexity.

For example, the 1-D elementary cellular automaton known as Rule 30
produces a pattern whose characteristic is statistically
indistinguishable from randomness (see
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Rule30.html).  This finding, to me, is
astonishing and tosses a giant spanner into the I.D. notion that complex
structures cannot arise from simple, granular processes that operate
according to simple, finite rules.

Jeff