[ale] Ot: Geek Squad

Matt Magee mattslistmail at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 17 13:47:53 EDT 2005

I used to drive a Chevy LUV 4x4 (Isuzu P'UP) with a 2.2 4cyl diesel that
only made 50hp when new.  I'm sure it was down a few ponies with 200k +
miles.  Got between 40-50 mpg.  Sure, it would barely run 65 mph, but I
have a lot of patience when money is involved. :)  If I ever find one
that hasn't rusted into oblivion, I will snap it up (my last one was so
rusty it literally broke in half on an overpass).  The only time the
lack of acceleration is a problem for me is merging from entrance ramps
and even then I'll just borrow the shoulder if I need a little more room.

The best way to acheive better efficiency in internal-combustion engines
is with long strokes, compact combustion chambers, high compression
ratios and relatively low-speed operation.  This makes Diesels ideal.
Now, add a turbo and you get the bonus of being able to adjust the power
output as needed without any appreciable economy loss.  No need for a
second turbo, just size the single turbo appropriately and let the
wastegate handle the rest.

I favor a minimalist approach for my machines though it is difficult to
find others with a similar opinion.  I can see the writing on the wall
when "economy" cars cost 15k and up and get worse fuel ecomomy than ever.

Anyway, that's the end of my ex auto mechanic rant.  I'll be quiet now.