[ale] Gone OT: Cobb Laptop Deal

aaron aaron at pd.org
Wed Aug 17 08:53:12 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 19:24, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Who the heck started this thread?  :-)
>
> I'm surprised this hasn't morphed into Intelligent Design vs Evolution
> yet?  :-)

Perhaps that's because there is not any real conflict between fanciful
defenses of mystic mythology and the factual science which they inevitably
affirm. :-)

By definition, the "intelligent design" philosophy argues that the
complexities of  the universe and our human ingenuity are the self
referential proof of an intelligent force underlying our existence.  As this
assertion relies entirely on scientific inquiry to provide evidence for the
complexity of the universe, it is nothing more than another argument for
evolution. In the end, the I.D. philosophy cannot deny the ultimate
intelligence of a life system design which has autonomously produced
reasoning beings capable of  inventing and employing the scientific processes
which, in kind, reveal the genius of design in the life mechanisms that
underly their own existence and intelligence.

Stating it another way, if there were a Great Omnipotent Deity behind the
existence of the universe, then the best argument for this ultimate
intelligence would be a universe comprised entirely of the cyclic, self
sustaining and evolutionary mechanisms that human science uncovers and
explores. The perfect intelligent universe will allow that its all powerful
creator need never lift a finger beyond the Big Bang; just light the fuse,
pop a cold one, sit back and enjoy the fireworks!   There's nothing more
elegantly intelligent than the idea of spark once, run forever!   If there is
an omnipotent intelligence responsible for amazing clockworks of the
universe, then human ingenuity is the end product by which the intelligence
of their autonomous, perpetual and evolutionary designs can be acknowledged,
and our intelligent processes of factual scientific discovery are the
ultimate homage to their genius.

:-)

peace
(because the only sane nation is a nation at peace)
aaron