[ale] Cobb Laptop Deal

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Tue Aug 16 09:58:07 EDT 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 20:58 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Please do not try to patronize me.  I know more about this subject
> > then
> > you could possibly understand.  I do not think that slapping a
> > computer
> > in front of a child is going to make them read better, anymore then
> > slapping a book in front of the same child will make them learn math.
>
> Usually its laziness that causes failure in school.  In 10th grade I got
> 3 Fs on my first report card. One in Biology.   After my dad beat my as*
> with his belt I turned all those grades around and took the prize that
> year for the best grade in Biology.  You can say the leather turned my
> life around.  I did not care about school at the time.  If kids don't
> care then nothing will help them.

I must disagree with your diagnosis. Lazyness is not the major cause of
failure in school. I personally doubt that there is a single reason
ultimately responsible for most failure in school, but frankly don't know
how to go about testing that suspicion.

I've got a young friend in Atlanta doing computer security who certainly
never finished high school. At least one of the problems was he was
certifiably mental. Another was sheer boredom, which we need not get into
here.

My second daughter is very dyslexic, although it took until high school
for us to find out (She just graduated from college, FWIW). By the time we
found out, she had largely self corrected or adapted to her challenge. She
was home schooled, working at school darn near 12 months of the year to
cover the material. I personally doubt that she would have succeeded in a
normal classroom as she was _not_ succeeding in class for the first three
years of school. She totally snowed her teachers, was in the advanced
reading sections, and could not read a thing. Two of the teachers had
excellent reputations, so lets not automatically blame the teacher either.

Back in college, I attended a two month session for underachievers. Most
of the group, as I recall, were dropouts, some of several years standing.
Our challenges were remarkably varied, from lousy study skills, to mental
disorders, to pretty crummy home life. Most of us were self-supporting, so
I doubt that "lazy" properly applies.

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown