[ale] Wifi problem with Linux

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Aug 15 10:20:50 EDT 2005

Jim Lynch wrote:
> I just got back from a long trip around the country and had my laptop
> with a wireless card along to keep up with email.  In a few cases I was
> never able to get connected at hotels that advertised access.  I wasn't
> able to run Windows 'cause I screwed up the networking settings by
> installing an Earthlink POS that appears to have trashed something and
> now my wireless card isn't recognized by windows any longer but that's
> another story.
>
> The question is, "Is there something that would prevent me from getting
> a connection on Linux?"

Not that I can see.  Most of the hotels I've stayed at provided a code
that you had to input on a paticular web site.  The website came up when
you started your browser the first time.

Did you attempt to sniff via kismet or such?

> Also there is a wireless hot spot at a marina in St Simons that others
> use all the time, I can't get a signal from either.

No signal?  That wierd.  If someone else was getting the signal you
should too.  It could be that they were not advertising the ssid.  If
you were using some scanning via kismet or iwlist I would think you'd
still see the signal, just not the ssid.

> This is a 802.11g  card.  It's a Linksys card that I'm running using the
> ndis software and the Win. driver with.  I'm assuming it will downgrade
> to the b protocol if necessary, but maybe that's it?

Don't know about that as I'm not that familiar with the ndis driver.  I
know some aps you can configure to accept b only, g only or both.

--
Until later, Geoffrey