[ale] multiple monitors - different desktops

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Aug 13 11:12:50 EDT 2005

fostermail at bellsouth.net wrote:
>> Any recommendations on multi-head video cards, setup options, etc?
>> What monitors are you using?
>>

> Toward this end you may not be clear the lack of necessity of the
> multi-head card for two monitors.  The agp slot and 2nd card in a pci
> allows chimera and "option=xinerama" in your xorg. The O'Reilly Linux
> Cookbook with the people making cheese on the cover walks you
> through. Maybe a dual-head in the agp slot for the panels; Or you
> could call the XServer from a 2nd CPU...

I think I stated at one time that I've not tried dual head with two
cards.  If so, that was a lie.  Memory's the first to go when you get
old.  At least I think so, I can't really remember.

Anyway, I now recall my first attempt at dual head was with two pci
cards.  Following that, I purchased a dual output pci video card, and
actually had a harder time getting that to work then the two pci card
solution.  Mainly because it was easy for X to see the two cards in two
separate pci slots then the two outputs on the single card.

At least that's the way I remember it...

> goster
> My retirement plan is 70

What's retirement???

--