[ale] Securely disabling wireless.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Aug 12 08:19:47 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 04:53 -0400, William Bagwell wrote:
> Getting DSL soon (Possibly today... Yeah!!!) have allready received the
> "box" (Actiontec Gateway GT704-WG) As far as I can tell from the skimpy
> literature the wireless defaults off. Suits me, but I want to insure it
> *never* gets turned on accidentally.
>
> Is removing the antenna enough, or should I be even more paranoid?

You can easily block any signal by wrapping the antenna with a solid
layer of heavy duty aluminum foil then grounding the foil to the earth
with an alligator clip and wire that is wrapped around a known good
ground (cold water pipe, center plate screw for an electrical outlet,
etc.). For best results, make the joint in the foil as clean as
possible.

If you have access to a metal cigar case (some cigars ship in individual
aluminum cases with a screw lid) that would be ideal. Pack a bit of
paper at the end so the tube curve is slightly elevated above the
antenna tip and ground the tube.

With a wireless card placed adjacent, you should see no signal.

Removing the antenna will the carrier wave dispersive and semi-chaotic.
But it will still be there if the power is on for the radio.
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>