[ale] Cisco VPN on AMD64, Anyone?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 15:29:43 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 13:23 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On 8/9/05, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 22:13 -0600, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> > > Has anyone been able to use the Cisco VPN on an AMD64?  It appears to
> > > have some 64 bit issues.  I'm trying to install Cisco Systems VPN
> > > Client Version 4.6.00 (0045) Linux Installer on my dual opteron
> > > Mandrake system and getting 64 bit errors:
> >
> > I dumped dumped CiscoVPN a while back and have been using vpnc with good
> > success.  I don't have an AMD64, but packages should be available for
> > that, if not re-compiling shouldn't be difficult.
>
> I started in  on that.  It compiles okay, but when I run it it asks a
> lot of questions I don't have answers to, like the ID of the remote
> system.

Use vpnc-connect rather than running vpnc itself.  Vpnc-connect (shell
script) will use /etc/vpnc.conf or any other config file if you pass it
on the command line to vpnc-connect.  When you are done, run
vpnc-disconnect.

> Then, too, we use a double authentication with an RSA
> secureID number, then the domain login.  Do you know if I can use that
> with vpnc?  I couldn't find any reference to it.

AFAIK, yes.  The process involves connecting to the vpn server and then
any secondary prompts/messages/authentication would occur in the console
running vpnc-connect.  One other advantage of vpnc is that it runs
outside of the kernel in user space.

-Jim P.