[ale] OT: Ethernet over cat-3?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Aug 8 13:04:37 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 12:54 -0400, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I have a wireless segment of my home network I'd like to replace with a
> wired segment.  Problem is, pulling cable from my switch to the
> destination computer would be a *real* pain.  There is, however, an unused
> phone jack near my switch, and the other end of the cable is easier to
> access in the crawl space.  I'd like to splice in a cat-5 from switch to
> the phone jack, run the signal over the phone wire to the other end, and
> then splice with another cat-5 for the remainder of the trip to the
> computer.
>
> As long as I get transfer/receive wired up properly, will I hit any major
> problems?

The only snag is speed. Cat-3 can go up to 10Mb if all of the other
connectors are compatible. The big issue with using recycled phone lines
is they are often run in the worst possible way for use as data lines.
They are usually run in a serial arranged segment instead of star
orientation. If you ear dial tone on any pair combination, don't even
try to run TCP/IP over it.

Bear in mind you can get Cat5e flat cable for running under carpet now.
I don't recall where I saw it now that I've opened my mouth...