[ale] Samba setup

Andrew Sledge asledge at gpc.edu
Thu Aug 4 07:40:57 EDT 2005

Mark:

I had the similar trouble once upon a time connecting my samba server
from WinXP and 98 stations.  The passwords that are being sent are
encrypted and the samba server is expecting unencrypted passwords.  The
things you are seeing are very similar to what I was seeing.

Here's what I found (2 solutions):

1. The encrypt password directive must be set to true in [global]:
`encrypt password=true`.  Starting with Win98 and WinNT (and up)
encrypted passwords are being sent.  Setting this directive will allow
the samba server to look for an encrypted password being sent instead of
the default unencrypted that samba is expecting.  Set to true and
restart the server.
2. You can set the Windoze clients to send unencrypted passwords through
the local security policy (under security options in the local policy if
memory serves me correctly).  Look for 'Microsoft network client: Send
unencrypted password to third-party SMB server.'  Disable it and reboot.

Hope this helps.

--sledge