[ale] what to do with dozens of 40GB IDE drives?

Captain SaveRite jasonrsmith75 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 3 09:14:44 EDT 2005

If you have some bandwidth to spare .. you could
contribute to the Internet Backplane research project
by setting up an IBP node(s). I know that other
universities participate by setting up nodes.
I've seen demos and they are awesome.

http://loci.cs.utk.edu/modules.php?name=Projects&pa=showpage&pid=3_1

Thanks,
sriad

--- Christopher Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com>
wrote:

> Hey guys -
>
> I just took ownership of 25 (to 50) brand new 40 GB
> Hard Disk drives,
> and I have no clue what to do with them.  I run an
> LTSP shop ( ltsp
> rocks! ), so my machines don't need HD's.  I
> optimized the hell out of
> them as much as I can (they're running dnetc/seti
> clients, etc).  I just
> realized that I have dozens of 40GB drives that
> aren't even being
> powered up, and I'm trying to figure out how to put
> them to good use.
> I'd like to create a fileserver array, but I'm not
> sure where to begin.
> I've looked at NFS, but the LTSP clients network
> boot over NFS, so I
> don't want to over complicate the network by having
> the clients act as
> NFS servers too.
>
> Does anyone know of any hardware that I can plug
> 'lots' of IDE drives
> into?  I've looked at SAN / Disk Array solutions but
> they all seem to
> ship WITH drives.  I'd love to find a 12 or 15 disk
> case and backplane
> that I can populate with my own IDE drives.  Does
> such a beast exist?
>
> Also, before/if it's suggested, I've already
> designated several of these
> drives for charity.
>
> Your guys' thoughts?   What would you do with 40
> 40GB IDE drives?
>
> Thanks again,
> CB

Thanks,